It’s easy to overlook the importance of your building’s parking lot. But a well-maintained parking lot is vital for curb appeal, for accessibility, for facilitating the flow of traffic, and even keeping residents’ and customers’ vehicles in good repair.
Here’s what to know about maintaining your parking lot.
Prevention is Better than Cure
Harsh weather, oil leaks, heavy traffic, and vehicular wear and tear can affect your parking lot’s signage, surfacing, paint, and areas such as ramps, curbs, and speed bumps. While all parking lots have a natural lifespan, you can extend the life of yours by:
- Performing regular visual inspections and noting any damage, cracks, or wear
- Removing trash or debris and disposing of it appropriately
- Inspecting your parking lot after extreme heat, cold, or storms
- Documenting and reporting oil stains or tire marks as they happen
- Monitoring drainage for signs of debris or backing up
- Using salt (or calcium chloride) and sand during freezing weather
- Diverting traffic around damaged areas
- Regularly seal coating your lot and sealing cracks
- Moderating traffic flow
- Preventing heavy vehicles from entering your parking lot.
Create a Maintenance Schedule
Regular maintenance is more effective than ad-hoc maintenance. Create a schedule for monitoring, upgrading, or repairing your parking lot. Some recommended time frames include:
- Visual checks and debris removal – daily to weekly
- Restriping your parking lot – every 18-24 months
- Sealcoat parking lot – every 2-4 years
- Repair potholes and cracks – contact a contractor as soon as these appear
- Replace lights and lightning – when lights dim, there are dark spots, or lights are inefficient
- Replace signage – every 2-4 years or when signs are damaged or outdated
- Repave parking lot – every 25 years (depending on maintenance).
Repaint, Repair, Resurface
At Manders, we have extensive experience maintaining parking lots of all types and sizes. Whether you need to repaint, stripe, surface, power wash, install height restriction bars or add wayfinding your entire parking lot, we can help. We’re fully licensed and insured and will get the job done properly, professionally, and on time. For more information about how we can help you maintain your parking lot, get in touch with the team at Manders today.